Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Winter Workaholic

Hello All!

As I look back on 2015, I see a year full of amazing journeys and triumphs as well as some menial failures. As many of you know, I spent the end of 2013 and much of 2014 losing over 70 pounds! After relocating to Atlanta, GA last fall for a few months, then becoming a flight attendant in January 2015, I looked up and I had fallen off the bandwagon I worked so diligently to get on. As you can imagine, the life of a flight attendant is very hectic, unpredictable, and in my case, unhealthy. Looking to airport terminals and hotel bars for nourishment, I didn’t feel as well as I once had. I tried a few times throughout the year to get into a good workout/diet groove, but my streaks seldom lasted more than a few days.

I knew I had gained weight and lost my muscle definition but refused to get on a scale and face the truth. Much to my surprise, I had only gained about 10 lbs. But the extra weight along with a poor diet and no exercise, felt like I was back to square one. I found myself at a crossroads, struggling to take the blame off my lifestyle and accept the fault as my own. After many failed attempts at getting back on track, I found the perfect opportunity to make a change. With only a day or two off during the busy Christmas/New Years holiday travel season, I decided to load my schedule up, ultimately resulting in 17 straight days of flying! Included were 15 layovers, which meant at least 15 opportunities to get off my butt and get a workout in.

My workouts consisted of at least 15 minutes of intense cardio (I hate cardio!) as well as at least 25 minutes of weight lifting with a decent ab routine included. After only 7 days, I began to see and feel a great difference in my body. I drank one serving of a pre-workout supplement before each workout just to give me a boost of energy to get through my workouts after a long day. Immediately following my workout I drank a protein shake (Muscle Milk cookies ‘n’ crème is my favorite) I also paid close attention to my diet, cutting out alcohol (empty calories) and sweet or salty snacks and sodas. I LOVE my bread, but also kept that to a minimum, opting for whole grain or low carb options whenever possible. I stopped eating at least 3 hours before bedtime and drank a protein shake upon rising.  For the first time in nearly a year, I was able to have a routine!!

I’m currently down 14lbs and still working hard!! Pics to come! As always, if you or anyone you knows needs help with their journey, feel free to contact me: themulattotruth@gmail.com!!


Here’s to Healthy Living!!

No comments:

Post a Comment